I noticed I never posted pics of the exhaust…. It’s a 2.5 inch MSA downpipe into 3 inches all the way back to the RS 4 inch muffler.
I left the silencer in it for now because i like to hear the turbo spool. :) It was crafted by Sounds of Speed in Santa Clara. They had experience with Z’s and low clearances so it was a clear choice. (They charged a reasonable rate as well!)
The craftsmanship was excellent and I haven’t scraped anything with it…yet.
Muffler in relation to my 15″ laptop
I’ll post vids in the near future
After the new engine was prepped and ready to go everything was set for the final stretch of the l28et swap. It actually pretty straight forward, take out the old engine and put in the new one. The method of doing so is another issue. Luckily the garage i did the swap in had a thick wooden beam that i could attach a hoist to. I opted this method instead of a cherry picker.
After draining all the fluids, removing the radiator, and undoing the engine mounts, it was ready.
The engine came out easier than expected. The only snag being the headers. If removed it would be an extremely easy process.
With the engine out, I had a lot more room to mess with the engine bay. Also to make room for the turbo afm I had to cut off the stock AFM bracket. Sanded some of it down, primered and painted it. I found an metallic green at OSH that matched pretty close to the stock Datsun emerald green.
After installing the radiator (Eagle 2-row Aluminum Radiator) I found out about the AFM bracket I was talking about earlier.
The new radiator required some shroud trimming.
Being concerned about the wiring aspect of the swap, I opened up the harness to wires so I can get a solid idea of how everything was routed as well as some rerouting/tucking. :). Wiring was really simple with the harness I had. I was already semi set-up for a swap. I re-did most of it though. I re-made the ignition harness, installed an HEI unit, wired in the power and “start power, wired in power to the fuel pump, power to the injectors and ecu, and installed the proper relays and fuses where needed. It was really only 5 or 6 wires in total.
Before starting I had to change fuel pumps. Well, i didn’t need to but I wanted to drive it as soon as I got it running decently… I used a walbro 255 pump that I bought from a Hybridz member. It did require some modifications to fit in the stock location.
And after that. It started on first turn of the key. It was exciting.
After opening the engine and seeing the great shape the engine was in, I prepped the turbo and exhaust manifold. I coated the manifold in high temp paint and wrapped it in exhaust wrap in order to keep engine bay temps down. I read that the wraps can trap moisture and cause the manifolds to rust prematurely so I did a couple of coats in a high-temp paint.
I also tapped the 6th Cylinder runner on the manifold for an egt probe.
Wrap her up!
I noticed that the turbo was not stock because it was watercooled. It is probably a z31 turbo. The previous owner did an effective but ugly plumbing job for the water. Plumbing the turbo was definitely a challenge to keep functional and aesthetically pleasing. I bought a turbo blanket which is one of the more effective ways to keep temps down in turbocharged cars. Infared Engine Bay Tests @ nasoic.com
Before removing the old engine, I layed out the turbo wiring harness, removed all of the tape covering, checked wires for frays or bad connections, rerouted the wires a litte, and studied the diagrams. The harness I had was already modified for installation. I modified some of it the connections. Wired new fusible links to actual fuses, wired in fuel pump relay, wired in start and ignition on for the ecu and redid the ignition protion of the harness. Because I had no stock turbo coil/ignitor, I had to do the hei swap as per Zdriver Thread
Despite it not working on the N/A engine, it worked fine this time around.
With all that done and with other parts ordered. I was ready to yank the old heart and put in a new one.
Until next update!
I left a lot of spaces in my last post about my l28et swap . So I’m going to dedicate these next couple of posts recapping what I did. Fortunately I captured some of it in pictures.
pt1: new engine prep work
Like anything from craigslist, I was skeptical at exactly what I had picked up but it was a complete swap for a great price. Tearing the engine down I found a great engine that must have just recently been rebuilt and had some mods for leg room in the future. All it needed was a little cleaning up, adjustment…and of course installation. On a stand:
Opened Her up to a surprisingly clean sight.
And thats it for the first part stay tuned for more!
The z got a L28et swap within these past 4 months. The Summer has been busy and eventful so my updates are long overdue…
The swap was pretty straight forward. Thanks to Hybridz the swap was easy to wrap my head around. I was blessed with help and space to do the swap from my family members. The extent of what I had to do was a little cutting, wiring up 4 wires (with regards to the management), and do a lot of plumbing.
Unfortunately the swap still isn’t running at 100% but I’m getting the tuning down.
Now…the next step is an event :).
If money is the root to all evil we need to get rid of it fast like this gentlemen here. I kid.
UPDATE on HEI:
Unfortunately I was unable to get my HEI swap running correctly so it has be postponed until I can determine what to do.
According to some hybridz.org members, my diagram is correct. I think there may be some wiring that needs to be done on the old transistor ignition side especially for the 1975 Datsun 280z (california model). It could also be that I blew my coil during the process. I’m not sure So after failing to get that going I decided to just revert back to stock… for now.